Tuesday, June 26, 2007

While the young ones take a quiz

I am standing at the podium in my classroom right now as my students take a quiz, I got this idea to make them struggle with an example problem before I go over it in class, I will give them full credit for their attempts but I want them to think about it first. We will see if this idea works or not. One nice thing is that I don't have to lecture while they take the quiz, I justify it by saying they are teaching themselves, and if they don't listen to themselves then they have more problems at hand.
10 out of 13 students are here today which is much better than usual, I don't know how to make them come to class, I am not their father so I guess that is not up to me..... but they are missing out on an easy quiz.
life is pretty good, I am very happy to have my family back home, it is still raining here and will all week. I am thinking about putting pontoons on my bike to float to work, I need some sort of umbrella that covers all of me. I would get mudflaps if they didn't make a bike look so dorky (apologies to all of you that have mudflaps).
I tested one axis of my force torque sensor yesterday and it works pretty well. using a nice DAQ board (computer interface) I will be able to measure changes in force of .03 lbs. This is much better than .23 lbs in the last one. I am still wondering if I could make it better? I am encouraged by the results though, I think Doc will be also. I have not told him yet cause I might try to make it better and I know he would say it is good enough move on, which is not bad advice. I get the impression sometimes that he is more intent on me graduating so that he can move on than making sure I learn as much as possible.
We did sell a rover to one of the X prize companies, Matt has to have it built by september. He figured up it costs 4 grand just for parts not to mention his labor (which is very cheap cause we are grad students, we resemble those guys on the side of the road wearing orange jump suits picking up trash).
We are headed home this weekend for a BD party for Judah (1 year) and the 4th of July party at my sisters house. I am trying to get punk Roman to come home with us to experience the Flippos but we shall see.
Well quiz time is almost over, I have milked it for all I can.

4 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger Closet Democrat said...

I'm curious. Which is dorkier looking, mud flaps or mud all over your pants? This is a serious question. Happy Birthday, Jude!!!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger  admin said...

I think you should quiz them about the silo party. And then make them write a paper about it.
hey jude! happy birthday

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Flippo said...

I would have to go with mud all over the pants, cause when people see that they think.... wow he is a biker, and not one of those dorky mud flap bikers either.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger  admin said...

well, the mud gets thrown onto the back end of your pants in such a way that people think you poopied in your pants! yep, they do think that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home