Saturday, June 17, 2006

On the road, day 1 June 13th.
We left Will Rogers world airport this morning at about noon, the ride was pleasant. I read through most of my Minnie Pearl autobiography book, fascinating. I traveled with Zac White an undergrad who is good with computers and is programming the rover. I also traveled with Doc Miller my professor, I never know how much to say with him. His son Bob gave us a ride to the airport in his new Scion minivan which I broke in route, not a real good clothes hanger in the back seat, it snapped with out much tugging from me. They don’t serve peanuts on united any longer, don’t know why. I was really looking forward to peanuts but I got graham cracker teddy bears instead, no wonder they are going bankrupt! We had a layover in Denver where I purchased a nice Italian sandwich from quiznos. Mmmmmm. Actually I am having a great time, I miss my family and I know this will get old very soon but for now it is fun. We landed in San diego and rented a Durango, it was nice but not as nice as the New Jeep Grand Cherokee that the team member that came the day before got. We met him (Matt) at Malin space science, he was frantically trying to put the rover back together. I wondered why he was still working on it and not done until I saw a young blond girl coming up looking for him, tsk tsk. I will have to be the chaperone for all my team members. Well we worked there for another 2-3 hours and then went out to eat. I suggested Chilis but Doc shot that out of the air like a wounded duck, bammm! Doc does not eat mammals, so we end up at a tofu place. The have beef and chicken there but it is all made out of tofu! I complained a little, just enough for them to know where I stand on faux beef. The place next door had a sign for Angus beef in the window, I drooled as I walked by. Tofu is tofu, I had it overseas and it was not good there either. I don’t know why someone would take perfectly good animal feed and make it into human food? After our “meal” we went to frys, which is probably the most wonderful electronics store I have ever been to. This place rocks, they have it all! I mean if God wanted an electronic device or component he would go to frys! After that wonderful experience we came to the hotel to check in. Right now I am sitting in my King size bed in my own room. Now I don’t mean to sound too back hillsish but a room to myself borders on extravagant! So here I am sittin……OK ready for bed. See you tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home