Monday, April 28, 2008

backwater science



Here are some pictures from the little unknown Kansas science treasure, the Hutchinson Cosmosphere. If you grew up anywhere near this place you where made to go yearly. Coming back though, especially after studying this material, it is a pretty impressive place. The SR-71 blackbird hanging at a angle is always an emotional experience. Next to it is a AirForce trainer hanging as well. 
Also they have a Lunokhod (made by the same company that made the real ones) The Lunokhod is a Russian Moon rover that was sent in 1970 and another in 1971. The thing is the size of a VW bug and looks alot like a toilet bowl. The Hutch cosmosphere also has the odyssey command module that was famous because of the Apollo 13 mission. People here that care about such things are shocked to learn that such treasures are in Kansas. Maybe I will drag them there sometime.  

1 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger  admin said...

Yeah no doubt! I have also spent a ton of time in there, especially when I went to HCC. That place was a big influence in my formidable years. Back in the ‘80’s, I had a grand plan to join the Air Force after college and then work my way into the shuttle program. Well, what actually happened is that I met someone named jaguar, he swept me off my feet… marriage… kids..jardine terrace...and well you know the rest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home